Barbunya Pilaki (Borlotti beans)
Turkey is famous with its zeytinyagli (vegetables cooked in olive oil) dishes. Known as barbunya pilaki in Turkish, this healthy, traditional and easy-to-cook Mediterranean dish is enjoyed cold or warm, all year around. This will certainly be on your much loved borlotti bean recipes.
Ready in 35 minutes
Serves 4 people
- 500 grams of fresh Borlotti (Cranberry) beans
- 1 small cup of olive oil
- 2 glasses of hot water
- 1 carrot
- 1 potato
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 clove of garlic
- Half lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- Chop the onion, put it in the pan with olive oil until it turns pink. Grate the garlic and mix it with the onion.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Cut the potatoes into cubes, the carrots in circles and add to the pan with the beans.
- Add salt, sugar and lemon juice. Add hot water and cover the lid of the pot and cook on low heat until it softens and absorbs the water.
- Take it from the stove and let it rest for 15 minutes, then transfer it to a serving plate. Garnish with finely chopped parsley and serve.